Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Thank you for all the love and support in 2013.
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
On the other note, my siblings finally bought a dishwasher. I hate doing dishes, so I told them if they bought the dishwasher, i would load it. Well, the dishwasher arrived last week, but none of the plumbers we called to install it has pitched. How anti-climactic. So now, we will just have to wait till next year. What is one more Christmas of hand-washing the dishes?
My computer has been acting up again. Icons flickering and my computer putting itself on after it has been turned off and all that nonsense, so my brother suggested wiping the hard-drive. That sounded really great in theory, but the computer won't let us format it's hard-drive, or allow us to enter it's BIOS so that we can boot the computer with the erasing software. Now we will have to take it to an expert to examine. With the computer acting up, I don't want to work on any projects in case the computer crashes, or if there is still malware on the pc. My computer and I have been together for more than 10 years and knowing that it is a 2003 XP, I just can't seem to muster up the courage to get rid of it.
What are you guys doing?
Thursday, December 12, 2013
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Friday, November 29, 2013
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
(By Dieu-Donné Gameli (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)
Monday, November 25, 2013
Examples of active voice:
- I walked down the street.
- My dog ran away.
- I jumped rope today.
I know what I should do, but I don’t have a great understanding about what active voice really is and when I am using it. In certain instances, passive voice still sneaks in. I am not ashamed to admit it, but I am very slow on the uptake. I mean come on, correcting a bad habit is hell, but it doesn’t mean I won’t get it eventually. I just have to give myself the time to understand it properly. I have to accept and get over the fact that it might take me a while to learn all that I need to and I won’t be learning all of it in just a few days. What is my rush anyway?
Friday, November 22, 2013
- I tell instead of show.
- I write in the passive voice, instead of the active.
- I am not good at descriptive writing.
- My dialogue writing is not very good either.
Sunday, November 17, 2013
I have antivirus software on my computer, but I still feel kind of paranoid about keeping my writing on my computer from now on. I had a backup on the flash drive and I am thinking of keeping it there and working from it. I don't like the idea of someone just accessing my computer and taking a peak into all my private stuff.
Enough of my drama. How is everything with you?
Friday, November 15, 2013
My PC has been hacked, so please ignore all blog posts that might appear on my blog until further notice. Also, I am not sure how much of my info was compromised, so please also ignore any emails from firstname.lastname@example.org until further notice. Thank you.
Monday, November 11, 2013
I am feeling really disorientated lately. My head is filled with ideas for new stories, learning new writing techniques and all kinds of other stuff. For some strange reason my focus is off and I am not really writing anything at the moment. The inspiration is fleeting, I guess. There is no doubt that I will get it back, it is just strange how unclear my ideas and thoughts are right now. Perhaps I just have too much on my mind.
I spent most of the day watching the series Bones. I recently started watching it because my family got me the entire series so that I can educate myself. After that I re-wrote part of my first chapter and ended up looking for freelance jobs.
Does your thoughts and ideas ever get jumbled?
Saturday, November 9, 2013
Thursday, November 7, 2013
Monday, November 4, 2013
I know I am a bit late, but I wanted to wish everyone participating in NaNoWriMo the best of luck and I hope that the writing will pour out of you and that the creative ideas will come freely. Like always, I am not participating, but I will cheer you guys on.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Can you believe that I got nominated for another Sunshine blogger award? I can't believe it. Mostly because I thought my blog posts were too depressing and because I have had emails from blog visitors asking me to lighten things up a bit. But I am really happy to receive this award again.
I have to say a big Thank You to Deanie Humphrys-Dunne for nominating me for this award. Deanie is a children's author of many books, including Tails of Sweetbrier and has a world of knowledge with regards to writing, horses and staying positive.
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger with a link to the website.
- Share 11 random facts about myself by answering the questions the nominating blogger has created for me.
- List 11 bloggers I believe deserve some recognition.
- Let the 11 bloggers know I nominated them.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers I nominate to answer.
11 Questions for me:
- What is your favorite vacation place?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What's your favorite season of the year?
- What's your favorite thing to do in your spare time?
- Where would you most like to live if you could choose anywhere?
- What's your favorite color?
- What's the most exciting thing that happened to you this year?
- Tell us something about yourself that we might not already know?
- Do you have a pet?
- What's your favorite kind of pet?
- What did you like doing most when you were little?
I am sorry, but I hate picking and choosing who gets this award. If you follow my blog you are amazing and you make me feel grateful for all the visits and comments you provide. If you follow my blog, please claim this award. You guys are all just so awesome!
11 Questions for you:
1. What is your favorite food?
2. What is your favorite color?
3. What is your favorite TV series?
4. What kind of music do you like?
5. What is your favorite movie of all time?
6. What is the name of your favorite book?
7. Do you believe in aliens?
8. Do you believe in running, unless you are chased?
9. Do you love nature?
10. What is the name of your favorite author?
11. Do you know how to cook?
That is it from me. I hope that you guys won't be shy and will accept this award. Thank you for always being my friends and for being there for me when I need you guys most.
Thursday, October 24, 2013
Monday, October 21, 2013
There are seven other teaser images displayed on various blogs today. If you'd like to see them, you can visit the following fabulous bloggers:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Friday, October 18, 2013
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
I have also decided to work on my writing resume. I am trying hard to come up with some good short story or even flash fiction ideas. Perhaps I need to start small first, before seeking publication for my novel. Who knows, maybe I can better my writing in the process.
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Do you know the more depressing part? When I looked in the mirror my love handles and puffy tummy were still there. Wouldn't it be great if you could start losing the pounds after every strenuous work-out? If you walk for an hour, than you see a pound of fat just fall off or if you did aerobics for two hours, you can see your love handles just melt away? It is so easy picking up those damn pounds, but taking them off...very hard work.
What is your fitness level like?
Sunday, October 6, 2013
- Update your CV or resume.
- Applying for new jobs.
- Watch all the movies you have missed out on the past few months and in my case, even years.
- Read all the books in your book pile that you have promised to get to, but never did.
- Write that great novel you have had bubbling inside you for years.
- Get a hobby like gardening, learn to play guitar or even start a blog or in my case learn to be a better blogger.
- Catch up with friends and family you haven’t spoken to in ages, in my case I avoid all of them because they are far more successful than me and my ego needs a break.
- Watch a few new series or catch up with the old ones you have missed.
- Do tons of window shopping.
- Learn to actually cook or bake.
- Take on those DIY jobs you have been putting off.
- Get some exercise. Something I really need to start doing. My love handles are telling me so.
- Actually start caring about what you are eating, so taking on healthier eating habits.
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
As artistic individuals, we live a tortured life. We create wonderful pieces of art, composed of the written word and most of us are at our happiest doing that. But then…there comes a time when we need to share our work with others, to get the exposure we require to give our work the attention it deserves. That of course is the most difficult part, when we start comparing our work to that of others, wondering whether our creations are good enough and we end up seeking the approval of our peers to validate the success of our creations.
Monday, September 23, 2013
Why use linky tool in the first place? Well, I noticed that I have a lot of people who follow me through other blogging sources beside blogger, which I have a hard time following back, because they do not have Google+ or Google Friend Connect. So I wanted to find a way to follow them back and it backfired. But I should mention, I always follow back and if I somehow missed following you back, please let me know and I will correct it. Another thing, if I can't follow someone the normal way, I always add your blog to my blog list on the right and read and comment on your blog that way. Also, I sometimes find that people tend to follow me, but have no link for me to follow them back with. If you leave me your link, I will gladly follow you back.
I sound stupid, I know.
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Barnes and Noble
Annalisa Crawford is finally in paperback. Another book I want to get my greedy little hands on. You can check it out here:
Julie Flanders is also available now and it is 10% off if you buy it from Smashwords up until 6 October 2013. I need to get this book too. You can purchase a copy here:
Barnes and Noble
Sunday, September 15, 2013
I went for a job interview on Thursday and I have mixed feelings about how it went. The position was for a copy writer/blogger and when asked what I possibly knew about blogging and writing, I mentioned that I was a blogger and that I had done freelance writing before. Somehow they ended up making me feel like I was not pretty enough or smart enough to work for their company. It is strange though, I went in feeling so confident and ready, but left feeling worried and sad. I did my best anyway, but they said they will let me know if I got the job this upcoming week. They even mentioned that they had several other candidates to consider, along with myself.
I am still not doing much writing at the moment, though I have been catching up on my reading. Three of my family members have been home sick with the flu and I am trying desperately to avoid them and getting sick myself. I had the flu a few months back and apparently, I can get it all over again. I thought because I already had it this year I would be done.
All in all I am just keeping a low profile. Not doing much, just hanging around at home, trying not to drive my mother crazy.
Saturday, September 7, 2013
Hey guys, Rachel Morgan is releasing another book, The Faerie War on the 21st of October and she needs people to help her spread the word about the release, or write a review for the book. If you are interested, you can sign up Here.
Did you know that there is a new publisher out there called BookFish Books LLC? Well they are currently accepting YA works and do you know what makes them so great? The agency was founded by writers and one of them is T.C. Mckee, one of our fellow bloggers. This agency helps writers who would like to pursue self-publishing. I should mention that their awesome logo above was designed by the talented Michael Di Gesu, also one of our fellow bloggers.
I don't know what it is but lately I have been finding it hard to sit still and just be. I feel all jittery and annoyed. Could it be that I have sent out more query letters to agents and not heard anything back? Or could it be because I have not had the urge to write anything lately?
These days I am doing a lot of dishes and I don't even like doing dishes. I think I need to look into buying a dishwasher when I get a job.
What are you up to?
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Tuesday, September 3, 2013
I was just in a really bad place in my life and I needed some cheering up, so one day I woke up with the idea in my head about Immortals and how I had a story that needed to be written. I liked the idea of living in a different world.
Romance, but more specifically, paranormal romance.
For my main character, Claire, I would say a 23 year old Salma Hayak. As for her soul mate and love interest...I have not yet seen an actor that has Alex's dark and handsome features.
Claire soon finds herself drawn to the immortal world after meeting the handsome Amaranthine warrior, Alex.
Hopefully it will be represented by an agency. I am in the process of looking for someone to buy or represent this book.
It took between two to three months.
I would say The Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter and Jacob by Jacqueline Franks. I read both these books afterwards and loved them.
I deep need to create or temporary live in a world that I wished I could belong to myself. The real one was not working out so well for me at the time. It still isn't, which is why I still end up running off to my imaginary worlds whenever I can.
My main character, Claire, is easy to relate to and the themes about the underdog saving the day and good triumphing over evil really comes through. That is if you like that sort of thing. And then there is the other theme about a soul mate being out there for every one, no matter how messed up you are.
I am tagging
Katie KCross Writing
If you don't have a project at the moment, you can talk about a past project or any other project you like. Enjoy!
Friday, August 23, 2013
I have to say a huge thank you to Crystal Collier for giving me this award. I think she is so super cool and talented. Thank you.
- Thank the Super Sweet Blogger that nominated you.
- Answer 5 super sweet questions.
- Post the award.
- Nominate a baker dozen (13) bloggers.
- Notify your nominees.
- What is your favorite dessert? There are so many I cannot just choose one. But what I don't like for dessert is any type of fruit.
- Cake or ice cream? Cake of course!
- When do you like desserts most? Anytime of the day. I have a really sweet tooth.
- Would you choose cookies or cake? Cake! I love cake.
- Vanilla or chocolate? Chocolate.
Thursday, August 22, 2013
Sunday, August 18, 2013
I finally took the plunge and submitted my novel to Avon Romance and Kensington Publishing Corp. I just felt that it was time that I took a chance. I have 20 different versions of The Amaranthine and I have even changed the name of the novel a few times too. I feel that I have tried to make this book perfect for so long, but I have done everything I could for it. It is time for it to go out into the world and be seen. If I get rejected and it never gets published, I will be sad, but at least I can say that I had tried. I just can't worry about this story any more. If I want my dream to come true of being published, I have to take the step of actually submitting my work. How else will it be seen?
So, what are you up to?
Friday, August 16, 2013
The rules of this tag are very simple. I have to answer four of the following nine questions, link back to Julie and then tag four other writers.
So, here are my four questions:
What are you working on right now?
I am between projects. I am in the editing process of The Amaranthine, a paranormal romance about soul mates and then I am trying to finish another novel, Island of Manoa, a contemporary romance about a type of love that is so strong that it will move through time, if it has to.
How does it differ from other works in its genre?
The Amaranthine does not have any sex in it. Sure the characters fool around, but unlike other paranormal romance novels, the sex only comes in book two. I just felt that the characters weren't quite ready yet. As for Island of Manoa, think chick flick in book form.
What experiences have influenced you?
I have always felt like the odd one out. I never felt like I really belonged anywhere specific and growing up it can be pretty tough feeling that way and not really having friends. So in my books it is important for me to have the underdog come out on top and for my characters to get their happy endings.
Why do you write what you do?
Living happily ever is very important for me. Even though I might not experience it in real life, doesn't mean I can't have my readers enjoy a happy ending. I also believe in love, even though I have never experienced it personally. So I guess that is why I am so obsessed with romance novels. My characters get to have their happy endings.
So, now for me to tag 4 other people:
C R Ward, Tonja from Tonja's Musings, Katie Cross and Beverly from the Beveled Edge.
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
I was curious and started looking at a few literary agent's websites, just for curiosity and man have things changed. These days there are online submission forms and most agents ask for electronic submissions only, which I like by the way. I noticed that the agents I looked at only asked for query letters. They didn't want to see a synopsis or sample pages, which means more pressure in getting my query letter just right.
Though, I have a strategy this time. I am only querying agents that are on the Preditors and Editors website and a member of the AAR (The Association of Author's Representatives). If an agent does not have a website with information, such as clients and book sales, I am passing. This time I am only querying the best of the best, which could mean that I might not get representation at all, as your writing has to be pretty ground shaking to secure representation, but better safe than sorry.
I have this fear this time around that I didn't have before. This time I am so afraid of the whole process. Of the rejections. The fact that nobody might like my book but me. The fact that I might have spent 5 years on a project that is never going to happen. I looked back at my old rejection letters and 99% of the letters said, "I am not the right agent for this project, but I encourage you to keep querying, as the the publishing business is subjective." This means that there is still hope for my book, right?
I am going to take a break from editing and go back with a fresh pair of eyes at a later stage. For now, I guess I will do my research about which agents to query in the future.
Saturday, August 10, 2013
- When an agent asks for fees upfront – Never pay any fees upfront. I had known about this rule when I had paid my agent an editing fee. I made the mistake of paying an editing fee anyway, because she had me truly convinced that I needed the editing. Trust me, they can sound really persuasive and when you feel really desperate, as I did, it will all makes sense at that moment in time. But do not pay any agent any fees of any kind in advance. They will get their final fee after your book is sold.
- When an agent offers representation, but shows no interest in your work – Looking back, I should have known something was wrong, because an agent should be excited about your work. They should ask you questions about your book or characters or offer suggestions on making it better, or perhaps suggest certain changes that would make it better suited to a certain market, as they know what works. If your agent does nothing and just accepts your work as is, then you know something is fishy.
- When your work has not been edited too much – An agent knows what potential publishers are looking for. They know what a finished manuscript should look like and if you only get a minimally edited manuscript back, that looks a lot like the one you originally submitted, be worried. I was not asked to do any rewrites, just to delete a few unwanted words. I don’t think my work was that perfect. I know a few writers whose work was much better than mine, but their work had been drastically edited.
- When there is no regular communication between you and the agent – Obviously your agent can’t be in contact with you everyday. But during the submissions process, you should at least hear from your agent once a month. Just so that you know he/or she had not forgotten about you. If you never hear from your agent again after you submitted your submission package, be worried. I would never have heard from my agent again, if had not been the one to constantly contact her for information.
These are the things that when thinking back, really ticks me off. I hope it will be of some help to others.
Thursday, August 8, 2013
Because you guys have been so super awesome, you made me feel inspired and motivated, so much so that I started working on a new synopsis for my novel The Amaranthine, as well as a new query letter. Now all I have to do is go over my manuscript and make sure it is in the best shape possible and then I will tackle the query beast once more. I am thinking of submitting my novel to publishers, as well as literary agents. I truly believe in this book, as it is only the first in my Undying series. I have just come too far to give up. This time though, I am checking out all the queried parties on Preditors and Editors first and double checking on Writers Beware.
My manuscript is not in bad shape, but I had it edited by someone who did more damage than good, so now I just have to salvage it. A year later and I still love it and it is still relevant to today's market. Lets just hope others see it that way too.
Thank you guys for always being here for me and cheering me on. I will always try my best to return the favour.
Wednesday, August 7, 2013
So much happened to me over the last few weeks that in one way I feel exhausted, but in another way I feel liberated. Free…even.
Some good news, I was recently interviewed By Deanie Humphrys-Dunne, so if you want, you can check out my very first interview Here.
The Insecure Writers Support Group was created by the wonderfully talented Mr Alex J Cavanaugh, so that writers could talk and communicate to others about the fears and insecurities that they might have. You can visit Alex Here, or you if you want to join us in discussing our insecurities on the first Wednesday of each month, you are welcome to join by going Here.
Saturday, August 3, 2013
1. Include the award's logo in a post or on your blog.
2. Link to the person that nominated you.
3. Answer 10 questions about yourself.
4. Nominate 10 bloggers.
5. Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs, letting them know that they have been nominated.
Because I had received this award before, I had already answered these questions. I you want to know my answers, please go Here.
Once again, if you are a follower of my blog, feel free to accept this award.
Thursday, August 1, 2013